From 1656, the tiny Sephardi community, numbering around a hundred people, needed a burial ground as well as a place of worship. For this purpose, a plot of land was leased in Mile End and the cemetery was inaugurated in 1657. By the end of the century, it was clear that an additional site would be needed. A new and larger three-acre plot of land was leased in 1726 about 400 metres to the east of the original site. This became known as the Nuevo, ‘new’ in Portuguese, as opposed to the Velho ‘old’, as the original cemetery was now designated.
The Mile End Cemeteries
The Guardian of the Cemetery
Kevin Martin has photographed every grave individually in Novo Cemetery,